Sunday, September 1, 2013

NO GRACIAS

I will preface this entry by saying that I am a tad tipsy at the current moment. This is the direct result of having an amazing host mother that will not take no for an answer when it comes to red wine. Alas, I am coherent and able to right as "well" as any other day so here it goes...

After checking out of my hostel this morning, I hopped on the first metro in the direction of Algorta, my neighborhood in Getxo. After transferring here and there on the metro and tackling countless sets of stairs with my many suitcases, I was more than ready to settle in upon reaching Algorta. However, in true Jenna fashion I was roughly tough hours early. I seized this opportunity to sit down at a cafe and enjoy some Spanish tortilla for lunch. I spent the remaining hour and half reading until it was time to meet my temporary parents.

Lo and behold Angeles and Juan were waiting outside their apartment for me to arrive. I was greeted with kisses and smiles. They were so accommodating, immediately taking my bags from me and leading me on a tour of their home. I must say, I couldn't have gotten any luckier. Their apartment is homey, clean, and beautifully decorated. Angeles told me to unpack and asked if I wanted anything to drink, to which I responded, "coffee." This is what I got...


So yeah, I'd say things are going pretty well. My room is painted a tranquil shade of blue, and they have truly thought of everything. I've got a desk, oodles of closet space, and the coziest bed I've laid in in at last a week. My desk even has a calendar on it and a dish of chocolates (pictured above). These people are saints. Here is the rest of my room...



Pretty sweet, eh? After I'd unpacked, Juan and Angeles led me on a walk around town. I had told them that I like to run so they showed me this perfect trail along the beach just a couple of blocks from their house. We then headed to a spot on top of a bluff over looking the coast. Like all of the views in this blessed city, it was breathtaking. Next we hiked through town to Puerta Viejo, the oldest part of Getxo located right in the center. They bought me wine and tapas at three different restaurants and we chatted the night away. It's been a day and I can already feel my Spanish improving quite a bit. They speak just slowly enough for me to understand but fast enough for it to be challenging. Literally everything about this housing situation thus far has been perfect. I am immensely grateful. Below are some photos from our walk around Getxo.






Tomorrow marks our first day of orientation and lots of assessments of our Spanish aptitude, etc. God help me. As for tonight, I'm happy and grateful to have a place to call home in what perviously felt like another dimension. Phew.

Until next time,
J

P.S. Spanish cultural note 101: NEVER SAY GRACIAS. Especially not to friends/family. My host mom informed me it is only normal to say gracias in the streets to strangers who do you favors. Boy, have I looked like an idiot my whole life. C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment